The ability to reflect on practice has become a competency demanded of every healthcare professional in recent years. It can be a daunting prospect, but this practical and accessible text guides the way, using the latest research and evidence to support the development of skills in reflection. It also provides help and advice on how to get started, how to write reflectively and how to continue to be reflective in order to develop as an effective and sensitive practitioner.
This fifth edition of Reflective Practice in Nursing is an indispensable guide for students and practitioners who wish to learn more about reflective practice, and also contains essential information for teachers and lecturers.
This edition features a variety of new material, including:
• Inspiring and uplifting guidance on writing reflectively
• New chapters on the issues for supervisors around clinical supervision in nursing and an experienced practitioner’s continuing journey with reflection
• An extensively updated first chapter introducing reflection in relation to the current issues that affect nursing
• Updated chapters on skills for reflection and group reflection, exploring attributes of the reflective practitioner as well as advice and tips for practitioners and educationalists
• An updated chapter on the student’s and mentor’s journey into reflection, deliberating issues that affect nurses’ and mentors’ capacities to develop and use reflection today
• Useful reflective frameworks, including an updated, adapted version of Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle, plus new exemplars to inspire you to begin your own journey with reflection
From reviews of previous editions:
‘This excellent book provides useful guidance on the use of reflection in practice...
a helpful addition to any nursing library.’
Primary Health Care
‘…an excellent investment in any nurses’ library portfolio.’
Journal of Advanced Nursing
‘An extremely welcome addition to nursing’s literature on thoughtful, knowledgeable practice.’
‘This is an excellent practical guide to reflective practice… I would highly recommend this book to all practice teachers and students.’
Journal of Practice Nursing
‘This is a cracking book for anyone wanting to gain an insight into reflective practice.’